Friday, February 02, 2007
Reasons to be cheerful
WINCHESTERS! Supernatural, ITV2, Sunday, 9.00pm
Hello readers. For once, we're not going to talk about something you should watch on telly today, but rather something you should watch on Sunday. Normally we would have made a normal post today and another on Sunday, but we're going away this weekend so we're getting ahead of ourselves. Now, there are a multitude of reasons why you should watch season two of Supernatural, and we're going to list a few of them below.
1. Jensen Ackles is not exactly ugly.
2. Neither, for that matter, is Jared Padalecki.
3. And the car they drive around in (nicknamed Metallicar by the fans) is also a thing of beauty.
4. Mmmm, gun porn. In your face, Torchwood. (Yes, we know guns are not big or clever. But there's something deliciously wrong and yet ohsoright about watching Dean Winchester clean his arsenal. So to speak.)
5. Sam and Dean are on the hunt for the demon that killed their mother and also killed Sam's girlfriend, like this:
6. They also like to take out various other demons they might encounter on the way, because they're nice like that.
7. Being something of a completist, the demon also tried to kill Sam, Dean and their father John at the end of last season by smashing a bloody great truck right into Metallicar. (And even when we re-watch that scene knowing what's coming, it still makes us jump because it's incredibly well done.)
8. As a direct result, Jensen Ackles spends pretty much the entirety of the season opener dressed like this:
9. Basically, it's all macho, gun-toting, demon ass-kicking fun...
10. ...with a bit of a girly, touchy-feely and slightly homosexual subtext of angsty brotherly bonding.
And on the basis of that, who wouldn't want to be the filling in a Winchester sandwich? Hmm. It occurs to us that we've made it sound like a trashy show that's only worth watching for The Pretty. And while we'll admit there is the occasional dire episode that's only saved by the charm and acting talents of Messrs Ackles and Padalecki (and for two such handsome lads, they're no slouches in the acting talent department either, which makes a refreshing change), the second season is fleshing the show out nicely and developing some nice depth and mythology for itself. If you're anything like us, you'll find yourself glowing with pride and saying "oh, boys!" out loud in the misapprehension that they can actually hear you. You may also find yourself screaming "Just fucking HUG already!", because seriously? It's long overdue.
Anyway, picking up where season one left off, Metallicar is a crushed mess and all three Winchesters are currently looking like very pretty yet horrendously bloody corpses. Except, it's probably not a spoiler if we tell you that all three of them survived the crash. Problem is, there's something far worse in the hospital for them to contend with. Something that might well change everything. DUN DUN DAH! We don't want to say anything more detailed than that, lest we spoil it for you, but let's just say you need to see this episode if you're to understand the emotional arc of this season. See, we told you there was depth.
Links to this post:
I've never seen an episode of Supernatural but I was seriously considering checking out until I saw those dreaded words... "Sunday at 9pm". With Waking The Dead, 24, and Louis Theroux already vying for my attentions, I may have to wait for the DVD.
Well, heck, at least I got you to consider watching it. Either way, my existence feels validated :D
Well if you do manage to overcome your allegiance to those other shows and give Supernatural a viewing I promise you won't be disappointed. It's a great show, and I already have the do not disturb sign ready for the living room door for this week.
By 7:35 am, at